The purpose of Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc. is to help empower victims of rape, sexual assault, incest and domestic violence to take back their lives.
Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc. (formerly The Rape, Child and Family Abuse Crisis Council of Salisbury-Rowan, Inc.) was conceived in 1976 by the Rowan County Council on the Status of Women. It began as a committee of concerned citizens to study the need for services to victims of family violence and sexual assault.
The Family Crisis Council was incorporated as a non-profit organization in April 1978, at which time a grant was received from the North Carolina Council on the Status of Women. The grant was provided to develop a service center for victims of family violence.
In April of 1979, the council became a member agency of Rowan County United Way. In March of 1988, an additional grant was received from the North Carolina Council on the Status of Women to allow the Family Crisis Council to expand its services and include a shelter for victims of domestic violence. The shelter opened in February of 1990.
From that time until December 2021, the Family Crisis Council has housed 2,705 women and 1,026 children in our shelter.
Family Crisis Council expanded services throughout the years to include a court advocacy program, special victim program, case management services, individual counseling, and weekly support groups. You can learn more about our services by clicking here.
Board of Directors
- President – Carla Rose, Real Estate Manager
- Vice President – John Grubb, Retired Real Estate Broker/Human Resources
- Secretary – Melissa Yates, Real Estate Broker
- Co-Treasurer – Maria Lowder, Private School Executive Director
- Ryan Stowe, Lawyer
- Leigh Ellington, Human Resources Director
The Family Crisis Council is funded through foundations, government and private grants, the United Way, community donations, and sustaining memberships.
We also receive funding from individuals like YOU!
If you’d like to help the Family Crisis Council empower victims in our community, please consider donating to us.
- You can donate through floating purple “donate” button in the corner of your screen
- You can write us a check made out to FCC. Please send your check to PO Box 50, Spencer, NC 28159
- You can also designate funds to our account: Family Crisis Council of Rowan, Inc (fund #2926). You can contact the Foundation For The Carolinas at 800.973.7244
- Rowan County United Way
- NC Department of Health & Human Services, Division of Social Services
- NC Council for Women & Youth Involvement
- NC Governor’s Crime Commission
- City of Salisbury
- NC Division of Aging & Adult Service
- J. F. Hurley Foundation
- Hurley-Trammell Foundation
- Margaret C. Woodson Foundation
- Blanche & Julian Robertson Family Foundation
- The Leon Levine Foundation
- Bank of America Foundation
- First United Church of Christ Foundation
- Salisbury-Rowan Community Foundation
- First Presbyterian Foundation